Skip to main content

C.L. Berger & Sons records

 Collection
Call Number: MS.LMEC.0001

Scope and Contents

The C.L. Berger & Sons records consists of documents and objects produced by the surveying instrument manufacturing company from 1919-1948. The collection includes product catalogs, product manuals, field manuals, instructional manuals, technical manuals, photographs, pamphlets, company stationary, and three small models of instruments. Also included are texts of speeches by co-owner Louis H. Berger and other materials related to trade conferences.

Dates

  • 1919 - 1948

Creator

Language of Materials

Material is in English.

Conditions Governing Access

This collection is open for research. Please contact the Leventhal Map & Education Center to make a research appointment.

Conditions Governing Use

Items in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. The Boston Public Library does not hold copyright on the material in this collection. Researchers are responsible for identifying and contacting the persons or organizations that hold copyright.

When reproducing material from this collection please include the credit line "Courtesy of the Norman B. Leventhal Map & Education Center at the Boston Public Library."

C.L. Berger & Sons

C.L. Berger & Sons was a surveying instrument manufacturing company in Boston, Massachusetts which operated from 1898-1947. The company was founded on October 18, 1898 by Christian Louis Berger (1842-1922), known as C. Louis Berger, in partnership with his sons William A. Berger (1876-1963) and Louis H. Berger (1878-1965). The factory was located at 9 Province Court in Boston, Massachusetts and moved to 37 Williams Street in Roxbury, Massachusetts in 1902. The company was incorporated by William A. Berger and Louis H. Berger in 1922 after C. Louis Berger's death. The company was acquired by Charles S. Narins of New York on November 28, 1947.

Christian Louis Berger (1842-1922)

Christian Louis Berger (1842-1922), known as C. Louis Berger, was born in Stuttgart, Germany on September 26, 1842. There he apprenticed under optical instrument manufacturer Christian Seeger and studied mechanical technology at the Royal Polytechnic Institute. He worked in optical instrument manufacturing at various German companies including G. Schubart in Marburg; F. W. Breithaupt & Son in Cassell; J. Lohmeyer and A & G Repsold in Hamburg; and at Thos. Cooke & Sons in York, England. He moved to the United States in 1866 and worked for optical instrument manufacturers Thomas Upham in Boston, Massachusetts and E. S. Ritchie in Brookline, Massachusetts. In 1871, he partnered with George L. Buff to form the surveying instrument manufacturing company Buff & Berger, which was dissolved on October 18, 1898. On the same day, he founded C.L. Berger & Sons in partnership with his sons William A. Berger (1876-1963) and Louis H. Berger (1878-1965), which operated until 1947. Berger died in Boston, Massachusetts on November 22, 1922.

Extent

2 Cubic Feet (4 boxes)

Arrangement

The records are organized in four series: Series I. Product catalogs and manuals, Series II. Addresses and conferences, Series III. Company materials, Series IV. Instrument product models. Materials within each series are arranged as received by the library from the seller.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Purchased from Kuenzig Books, 2010.

Creator

Title
C.L. Berger & Sons records
Author
Lauren Chen
Date
2021 October
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

About this library

Part of the Boston Public Library Archives & Special Collections Repository

Contact:
700 Boylston Street
Boston MA 02116 United States