National Theatre Collection
Scope and Contents
This collection documents the theatre’s several changes in management, plays performed, and financial history.
- National Theatre (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
The collection is open for research.
Conditions Governing Use
Items in this collection may be subject to copyright restrictions. In most cases, the Boston Public Library does not hold the copyright to the items in our collections. It is the sole responsibility of the user to make their own determination about what types of usage might be permissible under U.S. and international copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Established in 1836 by William Pelby, the National Theatre was located on Portland Street in Boston’s West End. Designed by William Washburn, the National was destroyed by fire in April 1852 and was rebuilt and reopened in November. The theatre burnt down again in 1863; it did not reopen.
Language of Materials
Finding aid written by Rare Books and Manuscripts Department staff.
This electronic finding aid is transcribed from legacy data. In many cases, transcriptions were not verified against collection materials at the time of transcription. As a result, this finding aid could be incomplete and might only reflect a partial understanding of the material.
Statement on harmful description
Archival description reflects the biases of time periods and cultures in which it was created and may include direct quotations or descriptions that use inappropriate or harmful language. Creator provided descriptions may be maintained in order to preserve the context in which the collection was created and/or used. Legacy description and potentially offensive content may be made available online until a collection can be reprocessed because the access that they provide to primary source materials is uniquely valuable to the research community at large. Our efforts to repair outdated descriptions and to describe our collections more equitably are iterative and ongoing.
- Digital images. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Manuscripts. Subject Source: Genre Terms: A Thesaurus for Use in Rare Book and Special Collections Cataloguing
- Theaters -- Massachusetts -- Boston Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters -- Massachusetts -- Boston -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- National Theatre Collection
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- 2013-01: Updated by Kimberly Reynolds, January 2013.