Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- African Americans. X
- Boston (Mass.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Port Hudson (La.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Social life and customs. 1
- United States — History — Civil War, 1861-1865 — Personal Narratives 1
- Bowdlear, Samuel G. 1
- Newell, Robert R. 1
- Wellington, Austin C. 1
Collection — Container: MS 3929
Call Number: MS 3929
Scope and Contents The correspondence in this collection dates from 1862 to 1865 and contains 106 letters between Samuel Bowdlear and Austin Wellington – 27 from Wellington and 79 from Bowdlear. Samuel Bowdlear’s correspondence documents life in Boston, Massachusetts during the Civil War, such as local sentiment in Boston regarding both national events and local news. The correspondence also provides a picture of the geography of the city during that time, as the letters describe the locations of businesses,...
Collection — Container: MS 7112
Call Number: MS 7112
Scope and Contents This collection of ninety-three letters, date between 1863 and 1865, documents the experiences of Robert R. Newell in the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment. The majority of the letters consist of correspondence from Newell to his mother, his father William Newell, his sisters Fan and Jenny, and his brothers Will and Kirk. There are two letters addressed to Robert Newell, one from his father, William Newell, and one from F.I. Child, one of his Harvard professors....