Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- Subject: United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- African Americans. X
- Boston (Mass.) -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865. 1
- Port Hudson (La.) -- History -- Siege, 1863. 1
- United States -- History -- Civil War, 1861-1865 -- Social life and customs. 1
- United States — History — Civil War, 1861-1865 — Personal Narratives 1
- Bowdlear, Samuel G. 1
- Newell, Robert R. 1
- Wellington, Austin C. 1
Collection — Container: MS 3929
Call Number: MS 3929
Abstract This collection documents life in wartime Boston as well as a Union soldier’s experiences in battle. The letters of Samuel Bowdlear, a prominent Boston merchant, detail the social, political, and economic events in Boston and the surrounding areas, including the Union camp at Readville, Massachusetts. For example, the correspondence provides accounts of local elections, enlistment and troop movements, current prices, speeches and parades. The correspondence of Austin Wellington, a member of the...
Collection — Container: MS 7112
Call Number: MS 7112
Abstract This collection contains the correspondence of Captain Robert R. Newell of the 54th Massachusetts Infantry Regiment to his family in Cambridge, Massachusetts. It documents daily camp life, campaigns and expeditions, encounters with Southern soldiers, and the issues surrounding the fact that African-American soldiers were not being paid.