Showing Collections: 1 - 2 of 2
- Subject: Authors and publishers -- Correspondence X
- American Literature — 19th Century — History and Criticism 1
- Authors, American — 19th Century — Correspondence 1
- Fields, James Thomas, 1817-1881 1
- Graham's Magazine 1
- Hoffman, Charles Fenno, 1806-1884 1
- Carey, Alice, 1820-1871 1
- Griswold, Rufus, 1815-1897 1
- Griswold, Rufus, W. 1
- Lothrop Family 1
- Poe, Edgar Allan, 1809-1849. 1
Collection — Container: MS Gris.
Call Number: MS Gris.
Abstract This collection contains the letters of Rufus Griswold (1815-1857), editor of Graham’s Magazine and publisher of American literature and poetry in the mid 19th century. The letters document his relationships – both professional and personal – with his contemporaries. Most notable is the correspondence between Griswold and Edgar Allan Poe.
Dates: 1834-1857; Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1900
Collection — Container: NS Am. 1491
Call Number: MS Am. 1491
Scope and Contents This collection contains 190 letters addressed to Daniel Lothrop (1831–1892) and Harriet Mulford Stone Lothrop (1844–1924). Additionally, there are twenty-two letters to their daughter and Margaret Lothrop (1884-1970); however, the bulk are to Harriet. The letters date from 1885-1956. Subjects include extending, accepting, and declining invitations, scheduling speaking engagements, soliciting and accepting submissions to Wide Awake, trading books and poetry, and...
Dates: 1855-1956; Other: Date acquired: 00/00/1971